This post “Best Toys for 4-Year-Olds“contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.
As far as my boy-girl 4-year-old twins are concerned, these are hands-down the top 26 best toys for 4-year-olds. Which means these are the toys they play with the most and learn from the longest.
This toy gift guide is divided into the following categories:
- Best toys for 4 year old boys
- Best toys for 4 year old girls
- Educational toys for 4 year olds
- Quality toys for 4 year olds
- Fun toys for 4 year olds
- Building toys for 4 year olds
- Active Toys for 4 year olds
- Independent toys for 4 year olds
- Craft toys for 4 year olds
- Games for 4 year olds
Check out my Ultimate Toys List for Boys and Girls ages 6 months to 4 years-old on my Amazon Shop page. Everyone’s loving it!
BEST TOYS FOR 4 YEAR OLD BOYS
I don’t know about you, but I think it’s especially difficult to find quality toys for 4 year old boys. When I’m at the toy store and walk through the boy’s section, all I see are dark and dull-looking action figure-type toys. There are tons of different brands, but they all do pretty much the same things.
My husband feels the same way, so I know it’s not just a girl thing.
1. So far, my 4 year old boy’s favorite toys either have wheels or can fly. He’s a huge fan of RC things (which is great for hand-eye coordination) and has more than five different kinds. This racing truck is his current favorite:
It’s incredibly fast, durable, and a great value. My son has played with it several times a day for over a week and it still has NO damage. The batteries hold longer than my son’s attention span (about 20 minutes total) so what more can you ask for under $30?
2. Kick Scooter
These kick scooters make excellent Easter presents! They look like they’re expensive, but they’re really not – and you should have seen how big their eyes got when they saw these babies at the end of the Easter egg hunt!
My 4-year-olds had absolutely no problems learning to ride them – they’ve watched the neighbor boy do it. They just jumped on and knew exactly what to do (unlike their mama who fell on her butt the first time she tried! ;-))
related: Best toys for 3-4 year olds
The best thing about a boomerang is that it’s a toy your child can play with by themselves.
However, it may not be for everyone. The recommended age for this boomerang is over 10 years old. But if you buy a crappy one recommended for 4-year-olds, it will likely be made of foam or thin plastic and won’t return when you throw it.
My son can throw it so well, that is lands less than 10 feet away from him (and he sometimes even catches it!)
BEST TOYS FOR 4 YEAR OLD GIRLS
My daughter is a girly-girl (unlike her mama at that age!) She’s all about mermaids, pink, and princesses. She loves playing dress up too.
Don’t forget to buy the overly expensive mono-fin insert. I thought I could get away with not getting one, but she noticed it right away. I’m hoping she’ll just forget the topic, but we’ll see who wins this one. 😉 The tail does look a bit sad floating limp in the water.
Also, keep in mind, the necklace is cute junk (breaks easily) and the bikini top is too big (but is adjustable with the ties.) Other than that, my little one is obsessed with swimming with her mermaid tail.
2. This small (but inexpensive) mermaid doll is so cute. She does get soggy when wet, but dries quickly. Unlike a barbie doll, her hair doesn’t get all nasty and she’s good for cuddling.
3. Do all 4-year-old girls feel the need to wear Disney princess dresses!? I hate the feel of those plastic dresses, but she just loves them to pieces. So far, she’s loving this Disney Aurora dress.
(Be sure to check TJ Max or Home Goods for a less expensive version before purchasing on Amazon.)
4. Twisty Petz
Twisty Petz are awesome for several reasons. Your child can play with them like an action figure, wear them like a bracelet, collect AND organize them. What girl doesn’t love to organize!?
EDUCATIONAL TOYS FOR 4 YEAR OLDS
ALL toys are educational. Young children learn through playing, and that usually involves some kind of toy. These toys are especially educational for your preschooler:
1. National Geographic Little Kids is such a fun way to sit together and read and learn about animals and nature. We got the subscription from my parents and we just love it.
(Plus it’s exciting for them to get something in the mail with THEIR name on it.)
BEST BUILDING TOYS FOR 4 YEAR OLDS
When the stay-at-home order was issued for our state, I figured it was time to find an indoor toy that would occupy my kids for as long as possible without breaking the bank. This Lego starter set was less expensive than I thought it would be.
Sorry, you’re not going to hear anything other than Magna-tiles and Legos from me because they’re simply the best toys for 4-Year-olds out there. Everything else pales in comparison! But if you or your child isn’t ready for those because:
- you’re not ready to face a massive Lego explosion all over your entire home
- you don’t want to spend that kind of money
- or (like my son) the fine motor skills just aren’t there yet
you may want to consider the old-school bristle blocks, lincoln logs, and tinker toys. They are less expensive and your preschooler is going to love building with them just as much (without getting frustrated.) Plus, they’re bigger pieces, so they’re easier to pick up and put away!
Wooden trains sets are tons of fun too (if you don’t have to buy them yourself – they’re crazy expensive!) They make excellent birthday or Christmas presents.
BEST INDEPENDENT TOYS FOR 4 YEAR OLDS
1. This Aqua Doodle Mat is one of the best toys for 4-year-olds because there’s enough room for 2 kids, it’s mess-free, and it will keep your kids occupied independently for a long time.
2. This rocket ship tent is great if your child loves having his very own private little space that he can do whatever he wants with. It does take up a bit of room, but you’ll be surprised how much he’ll use it.
My pink-princess-loving daughter just loves her princess castle play tent. It’s her own little space to share with her favorite stuffed animals and dolls.
BEST GAMES FOR 4 YEAR OLDS
Some of the best toys for 4-Year-Olds are games. Now that they’re starting to learn to count and take turns, playing games is a fun way to practice.
We recently purchased Hungry-Hungry-Hippo because I was optimistically thinking it would be a great game to help me teach my children about taking turns and how to deal with winning and losing. I must sadly report that I failed miserably – lost my patience and had to remove myself from the situation.
It’s definitely something to do in small doses but once you get the hang of it, you and your kids will have tons of fun playing games like:
A classic beginner game – kids can count their moves independently and they get all excited when they get to climb the ladder or slide down the chute. Even my husband enjoys playing this game (and he “hates playing games.)
3. Candy Land